Hi friends ,
Continuing from my last post on various Denali features in following post
Today we are going to look into AlwaysOn feature of SQL Server Denali
Topics covers in this article are as follows
- What us current Systems provides
- What Always on Provides ?
- What are “Availability Groups”?
- Features for Always On
- Basic Functionality overview
- Comment on always on
Current SQL Server High Availability Today
Enterprise customers are being successful in Dell, HP, Bwin, ServiceU, CareGroup, BigHammer
but in that we have following problems such as
- Solutions fragmented
- Lack important flexibility points
—Combines Best of Mirroring and Clustering
—Can allow for backups to be read
What are “Availability Groups”?
Availability groups are set of failover partners (a.k.a availability replicas) to provide high availability to user database in Denali.
Also AlwaysOn Availability Groups is a new feature that enhances and combines database mirroring and log shipping capabilities
Features of AlwaysOn is as shown in MSDN PPTs
Functionality of always on
What Always provides
In application failover Application reconnects using a virtual name after a failover to a secondary
Following is failover scenario how Always on performs -
Comment on AlwaysOn
In Short always on can be conclude as
Simpler and Unified in which
- AlwaysOn Availability Groups
- AlwaysOn Failover Cluster Instances
- Rich built in management experience
- AlwaysOn Systems Center Management Pack
Important Gaps Filled where
- Improved Online Operations
- Better health analysis
- Less patching via Windows Server Core
- Support NAS/Remove drive letter limitations
Consistent, Solid Foundation in which
- AlwaysOn Availability Groups becomes common substrate for future enhancements, and traditional Enterprise Box business
Hope this helps !!
Thanks for reading my blog !!
For more interesting links and daily update please subscribe our link resource website
Todays link are follows:
Link Resource # 23: Sept 04–Sept 07« Dactylonomy of Web Resource